Saturday, January 24, 2009

Long Drives, Empty Hearts

What do you do when you just feel empty?
When you feel like there's just nothing for you?
Even if it may not be really so. . .

I did something scary yesterday.
Scary for me, Scary at the time.

Just like every other off day, I went over to my aunt's place.
Book in hand, there's the TV if I wanted to watch.
But I felt like going out.
Going out with someone, and talking.
The only person I could think of, had made plans with her mom.
Everyone else I knew had their own things to do. I didn't want to waste a text and turned down anyway.

As I got into the car, my mind just started to wonder.
The next thing I knew, I was driving away, further away from my home.

My car was heading to, well, nowhere in particular.
I drove pass Bayan Baru, then towards Balik Pulau.
I passed this place where the old GOS gang had our BBQ and campfire, if I may call it.
I missed those days. If I could remember exactly where the turnoff was, I would've gone there.
But I didn't. So I drove on.

The road went up hill.
Hardly any lights there. At some point, it was pitch black.
Narrow 2 lanes.
There were 2 narrow lanes, and the roads were winding.
With busses on the next lane, it was scary.
With the roads that were unfamiliar, it was scary.
Everytime I came to a place where the road was a little broader, where I could've attempted to turn back. . .
Part of me said "Do it, just turn back. You don't know where this is going."
Another part would say, "Just go."
So I just drove.
My palms were icy cold, despite the AC being on 1.


I drove through lonely roads, and unfamiliar kampungs, took a few wrong turnings because my eyes were too misty to read the Sign Boards and reached home 2 hours later.
Feeling a little calmer.

4 comments:

Jenn said...

For me, I had that kind of feelings before in PG, just wanted to drive but dunno where to & my mind is empty... but i think so long as u r in PG, you won't get very lost.. :)

Ling Ling said...

congrats for making that journey! For taking the leap to follow where you heart wanted to go and not follow the safe path. :) Coz no matter what... you'll always end back at home. :D

deepak said...

drive... drive like the wind!! heheh feel better? good on ya

saadhaka said...

True Jenn.. I didnt really get very lost... Found that out in the end :)

Thanks Ling, maybe that was my 1st step venturing into the unknown :)

I did feel better Deeps, My icy cold palms actually came back to normal after I saw familiar roads :)